Last Updated: August 22, 2022
We believe players are the driving force behind games, and we're great fans of all the amazing stuff game communities create every day. So if you're interested in creating content based on games we develop or publish, here is our basic philosophy:
You can use our game content in tasteful projects that are provided free of charge to the game community;
Keep it Relevant. Your project should benefit and reinforce the game's community.
Non-Commercial Use. While the general rule is you may use our game content for non-commercial projects only, we're okay if you are monetizing your projects via ads, sponsorships, or subscriptions on Twitch, YouTube, Facebook, Patreon, or similar sites so long as they are suitable for a general audience (e.g., you may not monetize your project via OnlyFans). It's not okay if your project will generate any other type of revenue. If you're a corporation or other registered business entity, you need to talk to us first.
No Games or Mods. Sorry, but it's not okay to make your own game using our game content or to create mods. If things change for a particular game, we'll let you know. If you want to add a new mod, you have to contact us first.
Logos & Project Endorsement. It's okay to use our logos to identify your project as associated with the game, but make it clear that it's a fan project and don't distort game logos or use them in a way that implies we endorse your project (e.g., don't prominently feature them alone on a website). And don't claim we endorse you either. Similarly, we will not claim you endorse the game or us without your consent.
Other People's Intellectual Property. Your project must comply with applicable laws, and you must make sure you have permission to use music, assets, and any other content in your projects.
Keep Your Projects Tasteful. Projects that are hateful, obscene, or otherwise objectionable in our judgment are not okay (e.g., nudity, pornography, and other sexual content are prohibited).
Streaming and Use of Gameplay. We strive to make games to be as fun to watch as they are to play. When you stream or otherwise show game content:
• Don’t sell or license your project for a fee or compensation of any kind, or charge viewers to access your project;
• Third-party sponsorships are okay, but don’t imply a connection between us and your sponsors or associate our game content with products that are not appropriate for a general audience;
• Donations are also okay, as long as they are really donations, as in they are totally optional and not a requirement to access your project;
• Don’t claim that you created the game, the game world, characters in it, etc;
• Don’t post any leaked or pre-release game content under NDA. (From time to time we will work with individuals to showcase a game build or feature before it is released, or we may hold a pre-release event. If we’ve given you permission, it’s okay to stream/create projects based on that early access material.)
• We can use and amplify your project to the extent it's based on our game IP, and we can credit you in return.
• What’s okay for me to create under these guidelines?
• Streams of your gameplay on Twitch, YouTube, Facebook, Patreon, or similar sites suitable for a general audience
• Guides, tutorials, educational videos, player resources
• Your own player-run in-game events like training nights, not for commercial profit tournaments (no entry fees), roleplaying events, battles and duels, etc.
• Free fan websites or fan apps
• Personal avatars using game images
• Cosplay costumes for your own use
• Free novels, comics, machinima or other adaptations based on one of our games
• What's not okay?
• Games or mods using or based on our content
• Paid content or commercial products
• Paid websites/apps
• Paid physical products (e.g., t-shirts, toys, costumes, etc.) based on one of our services
• Cheats, hacks, or bots, or offering any of these as a service
• Broadcasting your tournament on TV, charging fees for spectators to watch your tournament, or offering prize pools or appearance fees over 10'000 CHF in value (or its equivalent in local currency)
Although we're excited about all the interesting things you may want to make with our game content, we reserve the right to revoke your limited license to use our game content at any time
without having to give any specific explanations. Often it's going to be because we think the game content is being used in ways we find inappropriate, or damaging to the game community or player experience.
If we revoke this limited license, you'll have to stop using or distributing game content in your project. Violations of this policy may also result in a temporary or permanent suspension of your access to our services.
These are the general guidelines. They do not cover everything and may change over time, but they provide the spirit of what we expect from the community.
If you see something that you think may violate this policy, please help us and the community by reporting it to us on forums or social media.
We look forward to seeing what you’ll be making next.